And On The Seventh Day…

As Friday morning dawned I had some time to myself as Nick and Sandy had been cave camping on Thursday night and Nick had things to do when they arrived home.

I began, after breakfast, by writing some postcards before going out. I asked at Reception where I could buy stamps and was pointed in the right direction. I decided to buy the stamps and post the cards before doing anything else. From the Post Office I walked the short distance to George Street, which is one of the main shopping streets in the city centre, and caught the number 555 shuttle bus going to Circular Quay.

Circular Quay is between Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House. It is where several ferry services run from.

Circular Quay, looking to the right
towards the Sydney Opera House

 When I arrived at Circular Quay the area was really buzzing. As you can see from the photograph above, it was a beautiful sunny day. There were certainly plenty of people at Circular Quay making the most of the weather.

Soon after getting off the bus I saw that I had missed calls from Nick on my phone so I tried to ring him. Eventually I got hold of him but then I couldn’t hear what time he said he was going to pick me up. It seemed a good idea to return to the hotel so that I would not be late and, also, I could ring him from somewhere quiet. It turned out that he was picking me up about three hours later!

Wandering around, I found somewhere to buy some lunch, which I took to Hyde Park to eat. I sat by the rectangular area of water, in front of the Anzac Memorial, and ate it. Afterwards I walked through the park to the Australian Museum. I had thought about 
having a look around the museum but the entry fee was too high to consider going in for just about an hour. From there I walked back to the Anzac Memorial. I took quite a few photographs both inside and outside.

There is a sculpture on the lower level of the building. It is not permitted to touch the sculpture. However, if someone had a friend or relation who was killed, injured or who fought at Gallipoli, they are invited to write the details of the soldier onto a golden-coloured card which is then thrown down towards the sculpture. The cards are collected and, twice a year, they are cremated and the ashes scattered on the battlefields.

I spent quite a while at the Memorial before returning to the hotel to be ready for when Nick called to collect me. I had no idea where we were going or what we were going to be doing. When they arrived, Nick told me we were going on a ghost walk at the old Quarantine StationIt was a walk designed for families so that the children wouldn’t be terrified. It was enjoyable to see how Sandy coped with the possibility of seeing a ghost!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s