This is how far I have progressed with my crazy patchwork project. It caused some aches and pains in this body of mine! I worked at the ironing board so that I could press the fabrics and iron the webbing on as I went. I started by standing at the ironing board, then lowered the board and sat in font of it. Either way, my working position was such that it began to make my back ache. For that reason I had to keep taking breaks.
I have mixed feelings about what I have produced. I was aiming to cover an A5 notebook with the results of my labours. When Shenna asked me what size backing fabric I needed I told her it would need to be about A3 1/2, in other words, between A3 and A4. She handed the cut piece to me and I began work, without measuring it. Will I never learn? Apparently not!
|The centre section|
During Friday’s session, after deciding, more or less, how I wanted to place my colours and patterns on the backing, I set about affixing them. I stitched a lilac patterned piece to a white piece, using burgundy feather stitch. What’s that? You can’t see a white piece? And you can’t see the burgundy stitching? No, you wont – but more about that later.
At home, with just the two pieces attached, I decided that it might be easier to achieve the effect I was after, if I placed all the fabrics before doing any more stitching. I spent quite some time trying to reproduce the placement I had come up with during Friday’s session, even with Anne’s photographs to help me. Eventually I arrived at what seemed to create what I was after. I set about cutting shapes. I had found some fusible web for hems when I was searching for my iron-on webbing. As I am unlikely to use it for hemming I used it for this project and began to cut pieces in half lengthways, and use them to attach my fabric pieces. It doesn’t need a really secure hold, just enough to keep each piece in place during construction of the entire project.
|Part of the pink section|
Working from the centre, I first placed the lilac section of my design, moving on to the pinks. I was pleased with the selection of fabrics [mainly scraps] that I had pulled from my stash. Generally they seemed to be of a similar tone and to go together well. I was seeking a smooth blending of colour around my background. I seem to be rather obsessed by doing that, at the moment. I think it is because I am so lacking in confidence when it comes to selecting colours and patterns to put together. However, I have noticed that I seem to be improving slightly, the more I work with colour.
|My yellow period [sounding like an artist now!]|
The transition from my large pink section to the next colour was going to be challenging as I have little in my stash that fits the bill. However, I do have some scraps left of a rather lovely colourful furnishing fabric which includes pinks, pale blue and yellow. I used a piece of that and it seems to have done the job, especially with the pale peachy colour that I put next to it.
|Green [I have a cross and garlic in my hands to protect me!]|
Moving into green. As you know, I don’t like green, but I do recognise that sometimes it needs to be included in my projects. To that end, I have collected a variety of green scraps and [shock, horror!] have even been known to buy a litle bit of green! So, I bit the bullet and put some green. I am quietly pleased with the blended effect I achieved in this section. It is far from perfect but, from someone who even struggles to willingly look at green, it is not a bad effort – if I do say so myself.
|This blue section had me feeling ‘blue’|
Oh, I was looking forward to the next part after suffering the green. Blue. I like blue. And yet, I found this section the most difficult. Maybe it was because of the limited choice of fabrics I had, or perhaps it was due to it being the final section, the final link. Whatever it was, it took me a long time to decide how to place the fabrics.
Just about the last thing I did to this preparatory piece was to remove the burgundy stitching I had done on Friday and to cover the solitary white scrap of fabric with a piece of pink. I did not like the white centre of the whole – it just seemed to disappear and create a hole in the whole [sorry, I just fancied typing that!] – and the burgundy stitching was too strong a colour which clashed with everything else, so both had to go. I am much happier with the overall effect now.
|My completed piece|
Having completed the placement of the fabrics, it reinforced what I had been thinking for most of the time that I was doing it: that I didn’t want to use this piece for my course project. As I mentioned at the start of this post, the backing was much larger than I needed, which affected what size scraps I used and the placement of them. It makes sense to me to use this for another project. Also, the important thing for me is to concentrate on the making of the crazy patchwork. I’m itching to stitch into it, put lace onto it, possibly even add flowers or buttons to it, so I need a smaller piece to work on. If I manage to complete a smaller project during the course I can always return to this larger one afterwards. So, although I have made lots of progress… I am back at the beginning!