I Lost My Way


Today I decided to try colouring some papers. This follows on from when I took part in the Be Creative weekend organised by Myfanwy Hart. I signed up to Myfanwy’s Creative Diary as I would like to learn new techniques and to play with colour.

Myfanwy talked about colouring papers in one of her posts and, whilst reading it, I thought it could be a fun thing to try. This morning I decided to give it a go.

Initially I was going to use some pages from an old paperback book but then I remembered that I had kept a couple of old road atlases specifically to use for craft projects, so I decided to use some pages from those. That was my first mistake. I had forgotten something Myfanwy had mentioned… the shiny finish on some paper. Oops! 

I began with this map of Leeds (I didn’t particularly choose Leeds, it was more that I chose not to use any other page). I remembered that Myfanwy had said she wet the page first, so I did likewise – my second mistake. (Can you see a pattern developing in my method?) Then I began applying watercolours to the page – unsuccessfully! I think the combination of wetting a shiny page was just too challenging for those poor watercolours! This was where I had lost my way. However, I did not give up. Instead, I moved on to my second map – this time of Inverness town centre.

I applied the watercolours directly onto the dry page but, as you can see from the photo above, it didn’t work terribly well. I continued across the entire sheet then returned to Leeds and added more colour. The colours seemed to ‘take’ better the second time around. I set these two sheets aside to dry and tried something else.

The Index, left, and Nottingham, right.

I thought I would try the inks that are used with rubber stamps and embossing powders. Taking a page from the Index of the atlas, I applied a light purple by pressing the pad directly onto the paper. I didn’t worry about applying it evenly, I decided that the marks from the corners of the pad would be ‘design features’. When I had covered the entire page I used a small tube-shaped sponge to apply some bronze-coloured paint lightly over the top. I was rather pleased with the result! It hasn’t come out well in either the photo above or the one below, unfortunately.


Finally, I moved to Nottingham. On this page, I began trying to use the bronze paint but did not like the effect it created so I decided to use a rubber stamp with several stars on it and a bright pink shade of ink, then stamped across the entire sheet. The stars turned out very small and smudgy so I took a stamp with one star about 1/2″ across and stamped that in blue randomly over the page. Again, the photographs do not show the detail terribly well.

I don’t know what I shall do with these four sheets. I may try to add more colour or, perhaps, try to iron on some stabiliser and stitch into one of them or something else. I’ll see how the mood takes me.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “I Lost My Way

  1. Great experiments! What a great idea of stabilising your paintings and stitching on them. Gift tags, greeting cards… that's what comes to my mind. I am sure you would come up with something creative and interesting.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s