|A London Bus [in case you didn’t
Here I am again with another post, just like a London bus: you don’t see one for ages then they all come together! [The picture above shows a bus on the number 6 route. It brings back memories from before my children were born as I used to travel on that route from Charing Cross Station to my office. Ah, happy times.]
I mentioned yesterday that I hadn’t been around because Peter and I were in Turkey but that was only half the reason for the long gap between posts.
During the autumn of 2014 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia – don’t worry, I’m not going to bore you with the details. The link above will take you to the website that my GP refers patients to, so click on there if you would like to find out more about Fibromyalgia.
When we returned from Turkey I became ill with the chest infection that had been ‘doing the rounds’ on the coach. The infection caused a major flare up of the Fibromyalgia and it has only been during these last few days that I have begun to feel human again. So, apologies for the extended break in transmission. I sincerely hope you will forgive me and thank you for your continued support of this ‘ere blog. (For anyone who is interested, I have been writing an online diary about learning to live with Fibromyalgia and all it has to offer: you can find it HERE.
OK. Back to the important thing in life… Crafting!
|Crocheted children’s jackets
being donated to Syria Relief
During the Fibro Flare I wasn’t able to do much crafting, or anything else, for that matter. I had a large ball of self-patterning aran yarn which I had decided I would make a small corner-to-corner baby blanket with. I found a couple of tutorials for the blanket on YouTube and, after watching those, set to on the blanket. It was slow going but that didn’t matter as I wasn’t going anywhere.
When I had worked about 6″ [15cm] I saw that there was a problem with the way it was shaping. I had made a mistake near the beginning which had made the whole thing misshapen. The mistake meant that it was going to look very peculiar when finished, so I decided to pull it back and start again.
I managed to avoid the mistake I had made on my first attempt. However, after a while, I realised that my tension was too tight so I unravelled it and started again.
Undaunted, I began crocheting for a third time. When I was about halfway through the ball of yarn I could see that there wasn’t going to be enough to complete a blanket. It turned out the ball was 250gm whereas I had assumed it was 400gm. At this point, some rude words were on the tip of my tongue… and some overbalanced and fell out of my mouth!
I unravelled what I had done and decided to give up on the idea of crocheting a corner-to-corner blanket. Instead, I decided to make a child’s jacket. I had seen a pattern on Facebook that I liked the look of. It was designed by Eleanor Burke of Knit Nottingham and is available as a free Ravelry download.
OK. So, pattern and yarn at the ready, crochet hook in hand, I set to. The first part of the pattern was a little confusing – don’t forget I was in the middle of a Fibro Flare, with accompanying Fibro Fog. I kept wondering how the shape would end up as half a jacket but carried on crocheting until it was the size I wanted. I finished off the last stitch and then realised why I had been confused… I had made a seven-sided hexagon! Oops!
Guess what happened next? Yep, that’s right: I pulled it back! At this point I really don’t know how I managed to find the enthusiasm to try again with that dratted ball of yarn. I think it was because I was just too exhausted to find any other yarn or pattern. However, somehow I did manage to start again and the two jackets in the picture above are what I created. I also managed to make two hats for premature babies, which will also be going to Syria Relief and a 6″/15cm crocheted square.
|Child’s crocheted jacket, also being
donated to Syria Relief
This jacket is one that I completed today, having begun it on Monday evening. I made it using a Patons aran yarn given to me by Peter’s mother. I have used some odds and ends of aran yarn that I found in my stash to add a bit of colour to brighten up the jacket. The buttons for all three jackets came from my stash. I have already started the next jacket using this grey yarn.
I am really pleased with myself. I have spent quite a lot of time using up odds and ends of yarn recently and, yesterday, I had to rearrange my yarn stash… and I could see a space!!! There was room to move some yarn into one of the storage boxes plus I was able to amalgamate two bags! It really feels as though I am making progress with using up my stash, but I do wish items needed more yarn so that I could get through it quicker!