Once again I have been having a play with the current stitch of the week in the TAST Challenge. This week it has been Detached Chain Stitch, otherwise known as Lazy Daisy.
One thing I have realised since beginning the Challenge is how blinkered and restrained I have been in my hand stitching. In the past it had never occurred to me to try to do anything other than the ordinary prescribed stitches. *cue lightbulb moment.* My goodness, there are so many different ways to use stitches, aren’t there? Wow! I know they say that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but this Bossy old dog is certainly learning plenty, at the moment.
I will hold my hands up and admit that many of the ideas I have been trying during the Challenge have been prompted by photographs posted on the TAST Facebook page – but not all of them. Believe it or not, I came up with the idea of adding beads to the stitches all on my own. Well, apart from having read about using beads in embroidery on Mary Corbet’s http://www.needlenthread.com. The use of beads came to mind when I was looking for inspiration for my detached chain stitch sample on Pinterest. I saw some pictures of elongated stitches and just thought how nice they could look if beads were added to them.
The photograph below shows the result of my adding beads. As you can see, the stitches are different lengths and the spacing of the beads around the circle is uneven. I probably shouldn’t even share it on here as it is so imperfect. However, if my memory serves me correctly, this is the first time I have ever stitched with beads. It probably wasn’t wise to try making a flower, nor to use elongated beads, but that’s what I’m like: act first, think later, if at all!
The longest stitch in the photograph was the first beaded stitch that I made and I was pleased with the effect it created. My plan was to make the entire flower with stitches of that length. However, as you can see, the plan didn’t work! 🙂 My second stitch was far shorter and so I ended up making them all more or less the length of that second stitch. I had also planned to make a five-petaled flower but that plan also went awry!
The fuchsia-coloured stitching in the above photo was where I began my exploration of this week’s stitch. It happened quite by chance as I came across this square of fabric when I was putting together a few bits to use for stress-busting – and, I must say, the stitching certainly worked wonders in that department!
These were the next two ways in which I used the stitch. They were quickly followed by this:
I have been disappointed by the untidiness of my working of this week’s challenge. However, I am thrilled that I managed to try several variations of the stitch, including using beads.